1. Do necessary research. You need to know as much as possible about the subject to advertise it.
Educate yourself, this is where the ideas come from. Speak with the client, ask questions, gather materials, get information, references, images, articles, etc.
2. Develop the strategy, that is analysis of key factors such as the audience, product or service advantage, etc . The main questions start with WHAT.
Establish your objectives.
Questions to ask:
What is the potential audience?
What is the benefit of the product (or service) to the targeted audience?
What are the advantages of the product or service?
What message needs to be communicated?
What is the call to action (donate? purchase? subscribe? become aware? get tested? etc)
What would you like the company's intended audience to think and feel? What is the key emotion you want to establish for the audience?
What is the personality of the company?
What is the competition (list several existing similar companies)?
What is the difference of the company's products or services from similar companies? What is unique about it to stand out of the competition?
Write the objectives statement (big part of creative brif)
It should contain: the company name, its short description, and list of all established objectives (question/answer form)
Follow the Writing Outline (which will be provided for each campaign) for your objective statement submission.
The statement has to be neatly typed
Print and submit it
Before working on the third part - developing the ad concep, you have to do a very important step:
Spend hours and hours searching for creative ideas and design examples for your inspiration. You have to learn from the best to become the best. NEVER miss this step
3. Develop the ad concept - HOW IT NEEDS TO BE SAID – the primary IDEA behind the piece. The design concept is the creative solution to the design problem. The concept should COMMUNICATE the benefit and PERSUADE potential consumers to buy the product or use the service.
You should develop the concept to communicate the objectives in the best way: express the personality and spirit for the company, establish a headline, establish an image, unify all elements of your design in voice and style, choose appropriate to style typography, etc
Depending on the channel or medium (e.g. print, web, environmental, etc), not all of these elements will be applicable. Use them when it is appropriate, for each part of your campaign:
The questions could be: what mood should you use in your design (serious, humorous, playful, romantic), should you use an analogy (comparison between the freshness of a flower and freshness of perfume) or a visual metaphor (Shar-pei dog to designate wrinkled clothing), should you use pun (a play of words), should you use an example from life experience, should you use exaggeration, etc
4. Develop the professional design of your concept
Develop the Comp (comprehensive). Take one idea and finish it. Make it look as if it is currently in use.
You should work on your design with the attention to the creative form, structure and style of design parts and elements
The problems to solve: be original, develop a design style that is appropriate for your concept, apply the principles of design, establish unity with some variety, establish a visual hierarchy, experiment and choose the best layout, work with typography with professional knowledge, etc.
5. Execute your design.
Craftsmanship, neatness, and punctuality are crucial to meeting your deadline. Make your project come to life upon completion. This is the stage to come as close to perfection as possible.
1. Use your software skills for perfect design implementation
2. Neatly mount your work on a mat board. Make sure that all the pieces are attached perfectly parallel to the edges of the board. The borders around printout should be 2 inches. I strongly recommend using rubber cement glue (not cement glue, glue stick, or Elmers glue).
Present your work professionally. A good and thoughtful presentation can enhance your design solution, but a poor presentation can only detract from it.